James Charles has gone the way of Manny Gutierrez, Laura Lee, Tati Westbrook – well, basically every single friend Jeffree Star has ever had. What was once a mutually beneficial social media-based relationship has crashed and burned in a very public manner.

This content is imported from poll. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

So how did this turn from all-love to a bloody feud that almost ended James' career? Let's fall down the rabbit hole and find out. From quickly-deleted subtweets and "horrific" accusations, to that whole thing with Tati – here's everything that has gone down between YouTubers Jeffree Star and James Charles.

June 2017

Jeffree Star and James Charles both attend the KKW Beauty launch party.

James and Jeffree have been friends for years – since back in 2017 when they both attended Kim Kardashian's influencer-ridden launch party for KKW Beauty.

The two hung out at the event, alongside a whole bunch of other people Jeffree is no longer friends with.

Skin, Event, Yellow, Beauty, Fashion, Fun, Human, Fashion design, Smile, Photography,

Jeffree Star with ex best friends, Manny Gutierrez, Laura Lee, and James Charles, along with Amanda Ensing.

Getty Images

May 2018

Jeffree Star and James Charles team up for a video collab.

In May of '18, the duo teamed up for their first-ever video collab, transforming themselves into the each other. James donned Jeffree's trademark pink wig and Jeffree recreated James' thunderstorm makeup look.

This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

This was the first in a loooong series of videos between the two (they've done seven vids together total), the most recent being an appropriately named "messy" makeup trivia quiz with Tati Westbrook. And that, my friends, is what we call irony.

January 2019

James Charles, Jeffree Star, and Tati Westbrook do a video collab.

To ring in the New Year, James, Jeffree, and Tati did a three-way video for James' channel that has racked up over 20 million views. Looking back on it now, there's a ton of foreshadowing that will really make you cringe.

In the intro, James says of Jeffree: "Our first contestant left his eyebrows in 2018 and apparently all of his friends, too." (Yikes.) Then he introduced Tati, saying: "Our last guest has been around forever, but somehow has not had a scandal." (Also, yikes.)

This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Messy Makeup Trivia ft. Jeffree Star & Tati

Watch on

This is an image

James then went on to explain why he chose the two to be in the video with him. "Tati and Jeffree have both been major inspirations and friends to me since day one," the beauty vlogger said.

After they had thoroughly destroyed their faces, James thanked his two "friends" for being on his YouTube channel.

"I love you both the most, thank you both for always being the best friends literally in the entire world and being role models and inspiring me and just being real ones in the beauty community."

Did I mention cringe?

February 2019

James Charles and Jeffree Star both attend Tati Westbrook's 37th birthday dinner.

For her 37th birthday, Tati invited her family and friends to a group dinner in Seattle. James was among the invitees and, apparently, so was Jeffree. At dinner, James began hitting on the waiter, according to Tati's tell-all video.

"You were talking in detail about things you wanted to do to the waiter and when I said 'James, he's straight,' your response was 'doesn't matter I'm a celebrity' – so freaking gross," Tati said.

"And you said that in front of my family, in front of my childhood friends. I had to call every one of them up the next morning and apologize on your behalf because it was so uncomfortable."

After Tati's video, the waiter posted his own, sharing that he actually thought the attention was "very flattering" at the time and later made out with James in his hotel room. (Read that full story here.)

April 2019

Jeffree Star and James Charles have a positive exchange on Twitter.

Two months later, James and Jeffree seemed to be just fine. Right after Jeffree suffered a reported $2.3 million theft at his makeup warehouse, James tweeted that he "cannot wait to try" Jeffree's new Magic Star concealer.

Before that, there was this interaction on April 6.

May 2019

Jeffree Star slams James Charles and his brother Ian Jeffrey on Twitter.

Following Tati's denouncement of her former mentee, Jeffree takes her side. In a series of now-deleted tweets Jeffree bashed James, claiming that his (now ex) boyfriend Nathan banned the YouTuber from visiting their home.

"There is a reason that Nathan banned James Charles from ever coming over to our home again," he wrote. "There's a reason why I haven't seen him since @GlamLifeGuru's birthday in February. He is a danger to society. Everything Tati said is 100% true."

After this exchange, Jeffree reportedly moved on to slam James' brother Ian.

When Ian tweeted "why does everyone act so tough over the internet?," Jeffree responded with some serious heat. "Why is your brother a predator?? Why'd you really move back to NYC? Exactly. Shut the f*ck up."

Text, Font, Blue, Line, Organism, Circle,

Twitter

James Charles severs ties with Jeffree Star's merch company.

Beauty Twitter speculated that Jeffree's merch production company dropped James' clothing line Sisters Apparel. However, James confirmed that it was actually he who broke off the business relationship.

"Many of you guys noticed that the Sisters Apparel website was down ... Unfortunately I had to sever ties with Killer Merch. I just don't see a world that exists where I could ever be in business with a team ran by someone like Jeffree Star," he explained.

Jeffree Star posts an apology video.

James posted a second video called "No More Lies," jam packed with receipts. The texts and messages he shared seemingly exonerated him from the accusations leveled in Tati's "Bye Sister" video.

Following the vid, Jeffree posted an apology video, called "Never Doing This Again." In it, he apologized for getting involved in the situation, admitting that the horrific accusations he made against James were based on rumors.

"There's a big part of the story that I don't think a lot of people know and that's that behind the scenes, there were a lot of people in my head. There were people telling me a lot of stuff and I don't mean my own friends, I mean people that had known James, they were ... telling me things that was making me feel a whole other way," Jeffree said.

"Should I have let people get into my head and sway my opinion about someone? No. That's my problem and I have to deal with that."

This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

He went on to talk about the "vicious" text messages he sent James, accusing him of trying to "molest" Grayson Dolan.

"You guys saw a lot of text messages. There were things being told to me that were never proven, um there was a lot of rumors, and sadly I let that get to me. So James, I want to say that I should have never sent you those messages, I should have been a better friend, I know that now and even if we weren't close friends anymore, I should have handled it way differently," he told viewers.

Later on in the video, Jeffree clarified that when he posted those now-deleted tweets weighing in on the Tati feud, he didn't have the full story.

"Did I jump the gun on a situation that I didn't fully understand and chime in? Absolutely. And I am living with that every day. There's a lot of questions about my tweets and I want to say that I regret them. I don't regret much in my life, but I regret hitting the send button."

June 2020

Tati Westbrook claims Jeffree Star and Shane Dawson were the instigators behind her feud with James Charles.

One year after the blow-out feud between Tati and James (and eventually, Jeffree), Tati has released yet another video. This time, she apologized to James and spilled the tea on what she says went down behind the scenes in the months leading up to the falling out.

She alleged that Jeffree and Shane manipulated her into releasing her "Bye Sister" video, in an attempt to ruin James' career. "Jeffree and Shane were both bitterly jealous of James' success," she said.

Tati claims that Jeffree's desire to bring down his "biggest rival" turned into an obsession. She revealed that during their three-way video collab and at her birthday party, Jeffree was instigating behind the scenes.

"Back in 2019, Jeffree started talking a lot more crap about James Charles than usual. It seemed that doing so had become his biggest obsession. It started with him telling me right before filming our collab together for James Charles' channel that James Charles actually didn't want me there, that he had wanted NikkieTutorials instead, but [Jeffree] said he'd had my back," Tati told viewers.

"Things further escalated at my birthday. Every time James Charles' back was turned, Jeffree would tell me that James Charles was out of control. He even texted and called me the following morning to apologize for James Charles' behavior at my birthday dinner and how embarrassed he was for me," she continued.

"As the weeks went by, every time I saw or spoke with Jeffree, it seemed to me that James was all he wanted to talk about. He said that James Charles was a monster with many victims."

This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Tati told viewers that Jeffree took her to the Killer Merch warehouse, walking her through piles of Sisters Apparel merchandise, all while talking crap about James.

"As we were touring his warehouse, which was filled with Sisters Apparel, it seemed that all he could do was speak poorly of James Charles," Tati said.

Shortly after, Tati says Jeffree introduced her to his best friend Shane Dawson, who Tati believes helped to gaslight her into creating the "Bye Sister" video.

"Over the course of the next few weeks [Shane] and Jeffree fed me so much new information that I felt sick. Almost every day there was more information and new allegations. Eventually, I started believing what they were saying, because they said they had evidence," Tati explained. "It wasn't enough for me to contact the authorities, it was enough to scare me."

Tati said that all of this information only came to light once she and James had mended their friendship and began comparing texts and messages from Jeffree. Neither James nor Jeffree himself responded to the claims, but Shane called Tati's claims "manipulative" and a "lie."

July 2020

Jeffree releases another apology video, addressing Tati's claims.

After going off the radar for almost a month (apart from a random photo shoot with Blac Chyna), Jeffree returned to social media with yet another apology video. In it, he admitted that his accusations about James were unfounded.

"Did I mix myself up in drama? Did I speak on things I shouldn't have speak [sic] on? Of course I did," Jeffree told viewers. "Did I believe certain things instead of asking the source? Did I get caught up in the hype? Did I do dumb sh*t? And did I not just simply call James Charles and ask questions myself? One hundred percent and that is my fault."

Later, he apologized to James directly for how he treated him during the feud last May.

"I would like to personally apologize to James Charles for the words that I've said and for my actions. If I was really close with someone, I should have had the ability to just simply call them and ask and say 'hey, these are the things that are being said to me.' Instead, I didn't," Jeffree explained.

"I let people really gas me up, get me going behind the scenes and I really fell for a lot of things and I got caught up in the hype. It's disgusting, it's awful, and none of it should have happened. So James, I'm truly sorry for my actions and my behavior."

Read the full story here.

Follow Kelsey on Instagram!